Fleet Street



This site is a personal web site run by John Saville and is not endorsed by Enesco or the Lilliput Lane Collectors Club. All information is provided on a "best efforts" basis and no responsibility can be taken for lost time or finance if relied on.             Webmaster: john-saville@ntlworld.com
Picture of LL Model Name Original Town Visit LL Ref. Dates Actual Location Grid Ref. IoE
Christmas Tipple City Pub   Jan 16 ‘The Tipperary’
66 Fleet St
N51.5141 W0.1076 434523


Fleet Street runs along the path of the River Fleet and for many years was the heart of the English newspaper industry   Fleet Street is Red on the London Monopoly Board
Lilliput Lane's "Christmas Tipple" is based on ‘The Tipperary’ , 66 Fleet St,  EC4Y 1HT [434523  BLB]

The first Irish pub (and the first to sell Guinness) outside of Ireland.

The Tipperary 
The pub was built on the side of a monastery which dated to 1300 where, amongst other duties, the monks brewed ale. This site was an island between the River Thames and River Fleet which still runs under the pub that is now little more than a stream.

'The Boars Head' which was built in 1605. It survived the Great Fire of London in 1666. This was because the property was of stone and brick whereas the surrounding neighbouring premises were of wood.

In approx. 1700 the S. G. Mooney & Son Brewery chain of Dublin, Ireland purchased 'The Boars Head' and it became the first Irish pub outside Ireland. It was fitted out in traditional Irish style which included a clock by Thomas Tompion (1638 - 1713, 67 Fleet Street) which was later stolen, now replaced with a replica. The pub also became the first pub outside Ireland to have bottled Guinness and later draft.

1918 At the end of the Great War the printers who came back from the war had the pubs name changed to 'The Tipperary' from the song 'It's a long way', which name it remains to this day. The name 'The Boar's Head' was retained to the first floor bar.

Greene King purchased 'The Tipperary' in the 1960's and the pub was closed for a period of time for the office development which surrounds the site. Greene King then refitted the interior to the style of Mooneys days. All the panelling, fixtures, and fittings, have been retained, both bars to this day retain there original character of the 1700's.

{Note: The  transcription retains the rather idiosyncratic use of apostrophes and English generally.}


Other buildings in Fleet Street
The original position of Temple Bar  
We visited 120 Fleet Street (which used house the  Daily Express) on September 17, 2006 as part of London Openhouse. [IoE 199466]

It has a dazzling foyer restored to its 1930s splendour in Art Deco style, designed by Sir Owen Williams/Robert Atkinson 1932.

Refurbished by John Robertson Views       Many interesting Pictures on the RIBA Pix site [Printing Works: 1-30 except 2, 4,11]



Sculpture on West Walls hows life i Britain....with a detail
To lifts and stairs The spiral staircase  Ribapix
Star Burst ceiling      

This is a personal website run by John Saville.  All web pages are Copyright John Saville as are all photographs unless otherwise indicated. Other information (e.g. maps etc) may be copyright to others as indicated. No information may be copied or reproduced without prior permission (from: john-saville@ntlworld.com) but this will almost certainly be willingly granted.