.

Abingdon

Up

The Thames at Abingdon St Helen's Church
There are 4 sets of almshouses in Abingdon. Three -- Long Alley, Twitty's and Brick Alley are in a triangle near St Helen's church
Twitty's Almshouses were erected in 1708
Long Alley were erected 1446 by Fraternity of Holy Cross. Christ's Hospital took over the work of Fraternity in 1553, and continue to administer the Almshouses. [IoE 250532]
Brick Alley was erected in 1820 [IoE 250533]
The Tomkins almshouses are in Ock Street. [IoE 250439]

This is a personal website run by John & Judy Saville.  All web pages are Copyright John & Judy Saville as are all photographs unless otherwise indicated. Other information (e.g. maps etc) may be copyright to others as indicated. No information may be copied or reproduced without prior permission (from: john-saville@ntlworld.com) but this will almost certainly be willingly granted.